January 4, 2010

Resolution #1 Being Content

(photo from: weheartit)
Well it looks like my goal to start blogging more is off to a good start…
Anyways, I thought I would share a few of my New Years Resolutions over the next couple of days. I’ll start with one of them: to be more content.
Now being content has always been an issue I’ve struggled with my whole life and often I find myself saying “Now I would just be happy if I had that (insert item here)” way too often: just ask my parents.
“I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.”  -Philippians 4:11-12 (The Message)
I honestly wish I could say that, but I don’t feel like I am at the place where I could give up everything and say, “God you are truly all I need.” It’s kind of pathetic how much emphasis I’ve put on materialistic things when I haven’t ever put that much emphasis on how much God means to me.
One reason that I find myself chasing the latest thing is because I am on the computer so much that I can’t help but run into tons of cool things that I immediately start obsessing over. Ever since I was younger, I would even look through all of the ads in the Sunday paper and rip out all of the things that I thought were neat. Needless to say, that pile grew bigger all the time and before long I had built up quite a habit of being discontent.
As I was typing this blog, this song came on the radio and wrapped up all I’ve been trying to say in about five lines. Funny how that works.
All the things I thought would fill me up inside left me empty here - and now I know why..
All of my castles in the sand - washed away again and I’m left back where I began tonight
The only thing that can ever fill me up has been right in front of me all the time

All along I was looking for something else, You’re something else
All along I was looking for something more,You’re so much more
I finally found what I could never see before
You’ve always been the one that I was looking for." (All Along, By Remedy Drive)



True that.

1 comment:

  1. just a thought, is maybe you could try to be content with things you can create for your self.. like pictures you take and what those can do in your life:) i find myself doing that too.. a lot, so your not alone. Be content in your self with maybe working out or in how great out bible study is going to be.. because of us. :) that always helps me when i always continue to want more. just a thought:)

    ReplyDelete

Have a simply lovely day!
xoxo, megan